Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) is the Amazon Web Service used for creating and running virtual machines (instances) in the cloud.
Now, let us start with Amazon EC2 by launching and connecting to ec2 instance for free. With EC2 you can set up and configure a virtual machine in the cloud and applications that run on your instance.
Creating an Instance
- Sign up : Before beginning with EC2, you have to create an account on AWS on this link http://aws.amazon.com/ Creating account on AWS is free, it will charge a minor amount which will also be credited back to your account.
- Choose an Amazon Machine Imge (AMI) : After clicking on Launch an Instance, it will ask for machine image. It is a template that contains the software composition (operating system, application server, and applications) appropriate to cast your instance. I have taken the following instance to be launched
- On the Choose an Instance Type page, you can select the hardware composition i.e. type of your instance whether you want a small, medium or large instance according to your requirement and traffic. Select the t2.micro type if you want a free and small type of instance and you will see that it is selected by default as it comes under free-tier program.
- Now in Configure Instance Details, there is no need any change, only you have to click Next: Add Storage .
- On Add Storage page, it will ask if you want to add any volume. The root device is given by default having 8GB of memory and if you want to add a volume click on Add New Volume. You can add any amount of size of your EBS but upto 30GB its free above that it will be going to charge some amount.
- On Tag Instance page, you can give it any key name and value name like this
- Under Configure Security Group option, you can select Select an existing security group.You will be asked for type of protocol below, there you will see that SSH is selected by default, you have to just click on Add Rule and select HTTP
- Click on Review and Launch and then click on Launch.
- When indicated for a key pair, select Choose an existing key pair, if you have any and then select the key pair that you created when getting set up or you can set up a new key pair. Select Create a new Key Pair, enter a name for the key pair and then choose Download Key Pair.This is the only chance for you to save the private key file, so be sure to download it and keep in a safe place. You’ll need to provide the keys you get on creating a key pair when you configure your instance and need to provide the file whenever you try to connect to your instance.
NOTE: Don’t select Proceed without a key pair option. You will not be able to connect to your instance if you have launched it without a key pair.
- An authorization page occur which shows that your instance is launching. Choose View Instances to close the that page and return to the console.
- On the Instances screen, you can view your instance and their statuses. It generally takes few seconds for an instance to launch. The initial state of your instance is pending when you have just launched it and then after it starts, state changes to running and it shows your public IP, private IP, DNS name etc.